Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] copying

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 22:13:44 PDT

On Aug 12, 2006, at 8:30 PM, artsymartsy wrote:

> Jeff (Minnesota)says
> Step out of our own preferences and give our students the tools to
> become
> those "life long art makers".

Drawing from observation is the major tool they require to be life long
learners in art, not tracing........

When "our own preferences" are the best accepted practices in art
I prefer my own preferences. My students will get enough of all the
wrong ways
to learn art from the wider world. They need to receive quality
instruction in
the art classroom. That should mean an emphasis on drawing from
not "tracing, tracing paper, light boards, windows, opaque
projectors, grids, etc."..... as Jeff said plus ....... drawing from
I also take the time to show them observational drawing:
nature, people, animals, still life.
"take the time" is a strange way to phrase it. What if the Math
teacher also
took the time to teach long division. They won't all be
mathematicians but
they should get the benefit of being taught it, over and over till
they get it.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703