Re: [teacherartexchange] copying

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 17:14:46 PDT

Being and art teacher and artist I have explain and
shown students all the ways an image can be produced:
tracing, tracing paper, light boards, windows, opaque
projectors, grids and yes drawing from photo's. I
also take the time to show them observational drawing:
nature, people, animals, stilllife.

By showing students a variety of options I let them
make the decision on independent projects how to
develop the image. Part of higher thinking is finding
the best solution to the problem of recreating the
image.

Part of the lecture on copying is that issue dealing
with who owns the original image. When the student
has taken the photo the issue of originally is not
there but when they copy from a copy written image it
is a different story. I explain the need to present
to the public images that are original and if you
don't they must acknowledge where the image came from.

We must remember that the majority of students in our
art classes "will not be professional artist" but "
life long makers of art". As life long makers of art
we need to supply them with all the tricks, techniques
we can. The art experience in elementary, middle
school and high school might be the final art
experience they ever have, or might be the seeds that
are sown to later grow at a later time. Step out of
our own preferences and give our students the tools to
become those "life long art makers".

Jeff (Minnesota)