Re: [teacherartexchange] Daily warm ups?

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 14:25:23 PDT

Actually, having students draw an upside down object is a great exercise in
teaching the student to draw what they really see, instead of what they
"know". I have often had my beginning students take a photograph and turn it
upside down and draw what they see. It is amazing how many students have
success with this method when they have not had much success in the art room
before. It is simply another tool to have students learn to draw - much like
using a grid. It amazes me that even at the high school level I can draw an
"M" and a lollipop and the students will identify them as a bird and a tree,
so teaching them that a tree does not look anything like a lollipop
sometimes takes a few different tricks.:-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> You wrote:
>> . . . Copying a drawing that is projected upside down is a good activity
>> . . .

IS COPYING A GOOD LEARNING EXPERIENCE?