Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: [teacherartexchange] Daily warm ups?

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 13:56:45 PDT

Here's what I did with 6th grade. I can't find 5th grade right now but I
know I did something similar with some variations in media.
I know how much it helps to have a framework just to get yourself going.
Then you can adapt it to your own. Have a great year!

Week 1 pencil Element of Art: value
day 1 contour drawing
day 2 value scale
day 3 shading practice
day 4, 5 small finished drawing shaded

Week 2 black markers on white paper Element of Art: line
fine-point black sharpies on white paper
have done large insects in great detail or detailed free form designs using
repeated patterns to fill in different areas

Week 3 watercolor- student choice of subject matter
Element of Art: color
day 1 thumbnail ideas in pencil
day 2 sketch favorite idea onto w/c paper
day 3, 4, 5 paint

Week 4 colored pencils Element of Art: shape and space
tesselations - Lesson plan by Woody Duncan - you have to push to get this
one done but they are terrific!

Week 5 oil pastels Element of Art: shape and space
large flowers in the style of Georgia O'keefe

Week 6 collage portrait
magazine photos used in the style of Archimboldo

Week 7 sculpture Element of Art: form
wire and panty hose sculpture

Week 8 charcoal or sometimes chalk pastels Element of Art:
sometimes I do their choice of an animal - drawn large on at least 14 x 18"
or larger shaded in with kleenex then texture in the fur and learn how to
"do it the direction the fur grows" - they like that...
sometimes we do landscapes and learn how to layer from back to front

Week 9 Review week
We do something fun like edible color wheels and then we study for a test
over Elements of Art and the things we have learned.
I usually have them take notes for a study sheet. I give them every
question that I am going to ask but make a BIG deal of how hard it will be
and how hard they need to study Sometimes I surprise them and give the test
orally on Friday and everybody who can answer one question correctly gets an

Checked by AVG Free Edition.