Re: [teacherartexchange] question

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 06:37:38 PDT

Thanks Woody! I did Altered Books for the past 4-5 (?) years with my
students. The premise is that you take an old book, one that is headed for
the dumpster, and you turn it into an artwork. You tear pages, paint in
them, glue things in them, your imagination is the limit. They are very
motivating for kids (and adults!). There are tons of sites available now if
you want to research them. When I started there were two Yahoo groups
dedicated to altered books, and the examples I could find were probably
under 20. The first year I just let the students jump in and create, and
while I did get several wonderful books, I also ended up with several
students who floundered, lacking ideas. So the next year I gave them
specific assignments for each spread, which gave them the freedom to be
creative and to fit within whatever theme they had chosen, yet also gave
them some direction. These books turned out great. Last year, I had my
students cut niches out of the center, again most turned out very well. If
you need a motivating project, give the students paint, x-acto knives, and
an old book! *L* Be forewarned tho, this project also seems to motivate
several into watching paint dry. 2-3 years ago, 30 of us on this list also
got together and traded altered books in a round robin, each couple weeks we
created an artwork in someone elses book and then mailed them to someone
else until we got our own books back. That was a fantastic experience and I
made several new friends in the process! :-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids