Re: [teacherartexchange] Any ideas?????

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 05:56:07 PDT

>Hi there everyone. I am going to start teaching Futurism and Dadaism soon, in Visual Art Studies, I would like to do a practical project based on these movements - Any ideas?
>
>Paige, Wynberg Girls High, South Africa

What if you provide them with the manifestos, objectives, etc., but NOT any visual examples?
What if students start by pretending to be Futurist and/or Dadaists WITHOUT looking at any artwork from these styles? What would they make based on their experiences in the society in which they live?

LESSON PLAN
1. Give them the manifestos and ideas to study, but not any of the work to look at.
2. Form teams to discuss and clarify concepts. Each individual in teams makes and shares sketches, lists, that are original and relevant to their own experience in terms of the dispositions studied.
3. Each team reports a summary of ideas.
4. Students collect and experiment with materials to produce artwork meeting the criteria. Best if done over a period of a week or more while another assignment is being conducted in class. This gives time for everyday observations and creative thinking to happen (insight).
5. Produce artwork. Encourage freedom to make dynamic improvements as the work suggests new ideas while working.
6. Display and discuss outcomes. Review and assess the processes of generating ideas. How were they learning to think?
7. Study the historic examples to see what motivated these artists and how they got their ideas.
8. Move on to next style, historic period, or other assignment that you feel should be learned. Repeat process above.

Marvin

Dr. Marvin Bartel, Ed.D., Professor of Art Emeritus
studio phone: 574-533-0171??
http://www.bartelart.com