Re: [teacherartexchange] I don't believe it...

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 19:10:21 PDT

Last year we had an "extra" classroom teacher who did not receive her
teaching assignment until the day before students arrived. I guess that is
one advantage of being K-12 - in order for me to teach every class my
schedule is one of the first ones completed and it is set in stone before I
leave for summer break. On the other hand, I never get the chance to teach
more focused classes - drawing, painting, ceramics, etc. I know you are
shell shocked right now, having worked so hard over the summer to prepare
for one curriculum only to find out you are teaching another. You are right
to focus on the positives. Since these students are all new to you, you can
teach some of the same lessons you taught last year. When I did my 5-senses
drawing last year it was a huge success because the students had ownership
of their still-life items. The students brought in the items to draw. You
could do something like this to start out the year - it will keep the kids
motivated and on task while you re-focus on a curriculum. So, are you
teaching a drawing class then?
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids