[teacherartexchange] Any Altered Book Suggestions

---------

From: Joe Cox (bjcoxteachart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 17:23:00 PDT

I have been collecting old outdated encyclopedias over the summer to do
altered books with my beginning high school art 1 students. I was planning
on spending a couple of day getting the kids started, then we would do a
page every Friday. We are on a A day B day block schedule so each day would
meet every other Friday. At the end of each quarter and semester they would
turn them in to be graded. Students would also work on them if they finish
a project early or if I am absent and a sub is there. A fellow art teacher
got this idea from a workshop at the NAEA conference last year.

My request is if any of you have done altered books before and have any
suggestions please give them. What worked and what didn't?

Another question is we normally do daily drawings the first 10 minutes of
class. These are done in a sketchbook. After 5 class periods, 2 weeks, they
turn them in to be graded. Is a sketchbook and an altered book overkill?
Is there a way to combine the two? I am just looking for some fresh
perspectives and if you have any please send them.

Thanks and Blessings,
Joe