[teacherartexchange] Additions to Nelson Gallery KC

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 03:32:29 PDT

A visit to the Nelson Gallery in Kansas City is always a treat. Since
Tiffanie did such a good
job cleaning her room, Poppie treated her with a trip to the Nelson
to look at art. We
especially want to see the major new additions being added on to the
museum. Of
course we had lunch in Roselle Court. Major changes were being made
inside the
older parts of the museum but it's the new buildings (not open yet)
we came to see.
Tiffanie's critique was that they were "plain and boring". Of course
she is only seven.
"Where are the big bubble buildings you brought me to see," Tiffanie
asked me.
I found the new additions simply "Ugly". They remind me of those
Butler steel
structures farmers construct to hold extra equipment. See for yourself:

http://www.taospaint.com/NewAtNelson/Tiffanie.html

The buildings are designed to be translucent and luminated from the
interior.
Perhaps "Ugly" will look better lighted up at night. Another visit
next year
will tell us.
                        Woody

PS: Tiffanie is a delight to take to museums and galleries. She loves
to see
and talk about art. She has her opinions, but what does a seven year old
know anyway ?

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons