[teacherartexchange] Beginning of the year bulletin boards

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2006 - 06:29:53 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Here are two ideas from Jeannie in PA that take planning the year
before (save the last project of the year that might not have been
displayed as well as samples of other projects)

2 ideas for bulletin boards in the beginning of the year:

We have "Meet the Teacher Night" before the kids come to school. So I've
been decorating my bulletin boards with samples of work that kids will be
doing that year. (1. Display sample projects maybe with art
print/prints that inspired it)

A few years ago my kids were making these marvelous painting during the
last week of school. I asked the kids if any of them would be willing to leave
their paintings at school over the summer so I could display them for the
start of school. This idea appeals to elementary students, and the hallways
are filled with their wonderful paintings from day1. (2. Put up work
left over from previous years - maybe the last project of the year)

Jeannie in PA, k-12
Post your ideas and I will add them to the Bulletin Board Ideas page
on Incredible Art Department.

One year I did Themes in Art. I used my Take 5 art prints and added to
them. I had Horses, People at Play, People at Work, Urban, Math
Connection and others (total of 8 bulletin boards). I added a
portrait/bio page for each artist.

Another year, I did all Words for the Pillars of Character Education.
Large 18" letters and quotes to go along with the word. I also did a
READ board and used the posters my Art Club students made with book
quotes. I have a portrait of a girl reading that I displayed with
that.

Another year, I used art prints that were interdisciplinary. I did a
couple social studies boards, math and science, Exploratory (included
prints for PE, Music, Home Ec, Tech).

Another year I did styles of art. One board used the modern art
posters set, then I used Shorewood prints for various art styles on
the other boards.

I often used the print collection for beginning of the year bulletin
boards. I remember doing one for Summer fun - How did you spend your
summer vacation?
Another one was Do you know this artist? I used well known works of
art and added clues. My students got bonus points for turning in the
names to me.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/