[teacherartexchange] Help need a new fundraiser!

---------

From: Joe & Vickie Magee (jvmagee_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2006 - 16:01:34 PDT

Hello all,

Our school is implementing a new policy that will not allow the sale of
'unhealthy' foods as a fundraiser. In the past the art club has always done
well by raising funds through a pie sale, but due to new state policy we no
longer will be able to do this. I have come across many great ideas but run
into obstacles when getting the kids to do the work. Our Art Club is small
because we have a very small student body (less than 400 students K-12). In
addition our community is small and very rural so to get younger students
and businesses involved is like getting water from a stone. Businesses are
constantly getting bombarded for handouts from so many other school
organizations. I have considered creating a district calendar that would be
entirely illustrated by students in grades K-12 but this idea has now fallen
into the hands of the new PTO.

Another idea I thought would be unique is purchasing a retired chaise or
accent chair that could be primed. Assigning a theme such as "Rural
America" and allowing each student in grades K-12 to add their artistic
expression until the chair was completely covered. Once complete the chair
could be fine tuned by more advance students and auctioned on eBay. Would
it sell? I really don't know, but what would I have to lose, in additon the
kids would really have a neat experience in collaborating the design of this
chair by building off of one another's ideas. Does anyone have any
thoughts, suggestions, or inspiration on some of the fundraisers your
departments have done?

Thanks,
Vickie