Re: [teacherartexchange] look for unusual drawing media

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2006 - 06:01:07 PDT

>I will be teaching a 'non-traditional media' course this year. . . Sue

This sounds like it could be a great course that teaches DISCOVERY and INVENTION--teaching CREATIVITY CREATIVELY. I would give students fewer ideas and ask them for more ideas. What about giving credit to each student who finds new materials and tests them using a standard comparison method that the class invents? Invention might include new combinations of materials, new ways to place the materials on the paper, use of binders as well as colorants, new bases on which to draw, etc. This is very appropriate education for the mind of an artist, a scientist, and for anybody else who wants to succeed, prosper, and make the world a better place.

I recently saw some evocative paintings made from thin sheets of multicolored concrete.?

What about giving students credit to come up with materials other than paper on which to draw?

Has anybody mentioned these drawing materials?
1. Black walnut hulls soaked allowed to soak in just a bit of water makes sepia stain.
2. Red iron oxide makes red/brown. Rust is similar, but less red.?
3. Wild elderberries are ripening soon along our roadways. Cooking gets rid of the cyanide toxin. Colors vary with variety.
4. White cement with charcoal dust or colorants.

Marvin

Dr. Marvin Bartel, Ed.D., Professor of Art Emeritus
studio phone: 574-533-0171??
http://www.bartelart.com