Re: [teacherartexchange] tech and art/ new comment

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 15:49:15 PDT

I've been wanting to jump into this conversation since it started.
I was not a teacher yet when I first started tackling the technology
implications of art making. I was a designer and illustrator and knew
I had to jump into it, or be left behind. I've been around long
enough to remember many of the first programs-- when I drew a sphere
and had lunch and dinner waiting for it to render in 3-D....

The possibilities for art ed boggles me. I spend much of my time
trying to be one step ahead of the kids and I'm always three or four
behind. I like the goo and glop and dirt and mess of the traditional
processes and will never think they can be absent from the program.
It's not an either or situation. But it is a calling for more art
educators to realize and understand that the technologies can open
many more avenues for engagement and success for all students. The
computer is only another tool.

What disappoints me is the lack of support from the art ed community
for incorporating more tools for teachers to use all the bells and
whistles that Jeff and Jen talk about. I had a lot of money to spend
in June for resources. I thought, at the simplest level, I would get
DVD's to replace all my videos and slide series. Either what I
wanted was way out of line as far as money, or few videos have been
converted to DVD. And tell me, who is producing videos , DVDs or
anything else that isn't a rehash of what I've had for 20 years?(some
of them filmstrips converted to video)

I have mostly been self taught with trying to bring all this to my
classroom presentations and expectations. And, sometimes I just have
to wonder why clicking a button is just so appealing? But I go
forward and bring all this to the game it's become. Don't get me
wrong. I am an advocate of incorporating as much technology as I
can. But I also think about the bigger and bigger questions.
What needs to be discarded and what needs to be kept? What is good
and what is bad? Are we fooling? How can the technology make art
more collaborative? and can a Machine make art? ( I was reading
something today about artists and techies collaborating on making
robotic like things that make the art)

The other day I was reading an article about drawing. Before the
camera was invented, there were over 150 textbooks available to teach
drawing. It was the way to document and keep. The camera eliminated
the need to document by hand. What does the computer eliminate?
Somehow I think the computer just makes it all the more difficult to
make a real observation. Teaching "real" and manipulation sometimes
gets problematic for me.
As far as the E's and P's go---- I flounder. I truly think we need
new ones. I find that 99% of the internet is crap and unmemorable. If
kids get messages in a flash then shoudn't there be a new principle
about that instant?? The internet defies all design principles.
  And, if I see one more PowerPoint that whirls and twirls and the
presenter just reads what I try to see through the whirling and
twirling, well I think I'll ...

We have an awesome responsibility ahead of us to try to bring the old
and new together. All teachers deal with the need to present
information in the best most efficient manner. I think we art
teachers need to be a big part of how that we train the future
creators in making those decisions. It's not button pushing, it's
what the buttons represent.

Patty
always asking myself big questions