[teacherartexchange] Lesson idea for design students - ABCs of Art Poster

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 10:57:35 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Here is a lesson idea for your design students - Design a letter of
the alphabet using the first letter of artist's last name and reflect
the style of the artist in the design. Of course, students would also
do research on the selected artist.
Finished designs can be scanned in (so students keep the original).
Make a poster of the printed images to display in your room (you could
make posters for elementary classroom teachers, too)

This is where the idea came from:
http://www.abcs-of-art.com

From Deborah Grumet:

I am an artist from NYC, and I have an alphabet poster that may be
relevant to your site. Specifically, I drew each letter of the
alphabet in the style of an artist whose last name begins with the
corresponding letter (C is for Calder, D is for Dali, W is for Warhol,
etc.). I printed the poster in 2004, and it has been in the museum
store of the San Francisco MOMA for the past two years.

.....There is a full list and description of the artists on the site.

http://www.abcs-of-art.com
I added a link to Deborah's site to Art Stores on Incredible Art Department.
If anyone does the lesson idea, let me know. I would like to put it on IAD.

For your list of artists:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/alphabetic.html
You might want to hand pick names from which student may choose.

Regards,

Judy Decker