Re: RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 03, 2006

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 10:54:38 PDT

I am one of those who is a proponant for year long student teaching. When I
student taught I had one child in grade school, and one in diapers. I worked
20 hours a week (yes, it was strongly suggested that I not work, but I had
no choice), plus I had a husband and a house to take care of. Yes, that
semester was a nightmare - I was always tired, stressed, and I fully
appreciate everyone who has their own challenges to complete this student
teaching time. However, I still believe it should be a year long - but if
you read what I wrote (I'm guessing mine is the comment that was being
responded to because I don't recall seeing anyone else push for year long) I
also believe that this should be a paid position. Student teachers can
provide valuable services to the schools and should be compensated for their
efforts and be enabled to take full advantage of the mentorship and guidance
available - especially those of us who are expected to teach multiple
levels. In an ideal situation I think this is what should be pushed for -
that is my .02! :-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids