Re:[teacherartexchange] Curriculum for h.s.

---------

From: Ken Schwab (bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 09:42:10 PDT

I don't believe that a student should receive course credit for two classes that have the same name unless the curriculum has changed and the second class is different. Curriculum for a program that has a 1,2,3,4 progression should build on what was done before.

An art 1 program should be basic skills:
1. Drawing forms (cone, cylinder, sphere, cube, pyramid, prism)
2. How light hits an object ( basic shading skills)
3. Elements of design
4. Principles of design
5. Basic color theory (color wheel) spectrum
6. Intensity changes (complementary pairs)
7. Value changes in color (tints,shades, tones, monochromatic)
8. Perspective (simple 1and 2 point)
9. Still life drawing (observation)
10. Abstraction introduction (composition)
11. non-objective (composition and use of elements)
12. Intro to mixed media

These things should be tied into projects that are fun and will demonstrate these ideas and concepts. The following courses should work on developing these skills with different media and modes of design that will challenge the student to use the skills from before. The different projects will be tailored to reflect materials that can be used and budget but constantly using the beginning class as a jumping off point.

My advanced classes always have a printmaking project, color scheme project, drawing skills project, mixed media project, art history related piece, totaling about six pieces a year. They are involved and structured to show good composition princip-les and the use of our basic skills. Their skills start to increase and they think about composition first, and technique later. Make each year more challenging and different so that they will want to take all 4.

E-mail me off list if you want my plan for last year and I will send it to you.

Ken Schwab

Lucy Brown Karwoski <lucy.kski@gmail.com> wrote:
Subject: New York State H.S. curriculum
I teach art at a small private school on Long Island. We draw
students from many school districts. My principal has asked me for
the syllabii and curriculae for Studio in Art and Drawing and
Painting. Can anyone help me with that information? Because we are
not part of a district, I don't have a supervisor to advise me.
I also need to know if a student can take Drawing and Painting for two
years, thus earning credit for D&P 1 and II. Also, are there any
specific curricular requirements for the Independent Study course? I
was wondering if it might include some Photoshop work.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Lucy
Lucy.kski@gmail.com