RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 03, 2006

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 09:00:39 PDT

Student teaching response
There has been some talk about how long student teaching should be. I
disagree with those that feel it should be a year long. Programs around the
country are all very different. I have a studio degree, additional to the
four years of studio classes, I did my art history, ESL, and educational
classes on top of that (never mind the general requirements done at the
community college level). During our student teaching, we were required to
not work, and even though they could not legally or institutionally hold us
to that requirement, it never the less created a hardship. I am a single
parent. If it were not for my student loans, I would not have been able to
go to school period. Just because some of you out there were expected to
student teach for a full year does not mean it should be that way across the
board. Not all art or all education programs are equal. As new teachers, at
least in my state, we have a three year provisional period where a lot of
what we need to learn (in the classroom) is going to happen. Most districts
have mentor programs for new teachers and new teachers are required to
create a fairly extensive portfolio. Teachers do an amazing job, as it is a
privilege to be in the lives of people's children, teachers should not have
to do it for free or for little money. Teachers are worth their weight in
gold, this country of ours needs to wake up. As a student teacher, I
contributed a great deal to the classroom and student's learning. I did
things that my mentor teachers did not do. After all, my training, being
more recent, reflects the most progressive thoughts and movements in
education today. As there is a great deal to learn from the mentor teacher,
there is much to learn from the student teacher as well. Collaboration is
the key. Thanks for letting me add my five cents worth. Happy Trails Maureen