Re: [teacherartexchange] Advice with Student Teacher

---------

From: croberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 15:25:38 PDT

Patty,
The local university (East Carolina University) that we work with in this
area has a different program.

The student teacher first observes an elementary teacher and a high school
(or middle school) teacher for one day a week every week for an entire
semester (16 weeks). If the schools are close enough, they visit each
school half the day. If they are not close, then they usually rotate one
week with one and the next week with the other.

During this first semester, they also must assist the teacher in a lot of
activities...one of which is usually teaching a lesson...doing bulletin
boards, creating power points to assist with lessons, work with students one
on one...and any thing else they can do to help them become familiar with
the classroom setting.

Then the second semester, they do their student teaching with the elementary
teacher for 8 weeks and then the second 8 weeks with the high school
teacher.
This works a lot better and gives the student teacher a chance to observe
the classroom settings...and become more comfortable in the classroom.
Also...by the end of the first semester of observing, both the teacher and
student teacher have a chance to get to know each other.
Carolyn