[teacherartexchange] look for unusual drawing media

---------

From: Sue Stevens (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 15:05:55 PDT

Hi all!
Hope everyone's summer is going well!
I will be teaching a 'non-traditional media' course this year (twice!). We
run it every other year, and on top of that, this will be the third time the
course has been offered. So, I have been changing the course constantly!

Although the course is 'non-traditional media' I still have to follow the
basic curriculum standards.
So, my way around that for drawing is to use non-traditional thing to draw
with, rather than pencil all the time.

In the past, I've tried...

food colouring with brushes and Q-tips - worked really well to draw lines
and to do some shading

bleach with synthetic brushes - worked great, had to go outside - we 'drew'
on constructon paper, so it turned white - won't do it again though - a bit
dangerous with clothing

dirt - didn't work that great - but we didn't really know what we were
doing - might try it again

coffee - fantastic results - used instant coffee - will do this again

charcole - I've made my own in the past in a fire pit - really cool - used
dowelling wrapped in tin foil until it turns to charcole.

I'm going to try Kool-Aid this year (call it 'pop' art) - should behave just
like food colouring I figure

Any other suggestions of non-traditional media? Or....projects that you
think might be non-traditional?
I would appreciate any advice, suggestions, things that work well, etc....
Thanks
Sue