re:[teacherartexchange] student teacher

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 13:28:50 PDT

Jeanette,

You shared some very, and I mean very good points. I
have seen student teachers completely fall apart when
handed the "class from hell" and expected to survive
the experience. I also agree about the talking about
the student teacher behind his/her back to other
student teachers, fellow staff and college
supervisior. The topper of telling them that
everything is great, fantastic and so well done but
turn around and dump on them in the final evaluation
is very wrong.

Sorry to hear your experience was not all it should
have been. Half of my student teaching experience was
fantastic and the other half constant frustration. In
my high school experience I was not given any
curriculum, told to take over all his classes as he
went to the lounge to camp out, I survived. My
elementary experience on the other hand was what I
thought student teaching should be like, two fantasitc
cooperating teachers, mentors in every aspect. I
learned my greatest skills from both of those.

I learned from that experience what I needed to do
with my student teachers to make their student
teaching productive.

Jeff (Minnesota)