Re: [teacherartexchange] Advice with Student Teacher

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 10:50:18 PDT

Yes, absolutely! I think one year as a student teacher minimum should be
required. They should be there from day one when teacher's report (NOT the
first day of school, since this is where inservices, teacher expectations
are given, motivational speakers, classroom prep time, paperwork filled out,
association meetings held, out-of-classroom assignments are distributed (gym
duty, bus duty, hall duty, etc). And student teachers should be PAID for
that year of service. Colleges should not expect their student teachers to
take on college responsibilites: have portfolios to create, homework to do,
classes to attend. After the student teaching experience then a reflective
course at the university where discussions/resume building/etc. could
finalize the experience.

My own experience was 9 weeks of high school, then 9 weeks of elementary. My
cooperating teacher at the high school was absent for much of the time.
After teaching for a full day we were expected to take one hour per week
where we met with our departments (mine consisted of the head of the art ed
dept. and 8 other art ed student teachers), and every Wednesday was a
torture test from 6-9 on History & Philosophy of Education. At the end of
the year we had a portfolio review, which we were assured that
administrators wanted to see during the interview process. Well, NONE of the
administrators wanted to see that portfolio - they were more interested in
the notebook that my cooperating elementary art teacher helped me put
together. It was full of lesson plans and photos of student artwork and
displays. The administrators were more interested in what their students
would be doing in my classroom than they were in whether I could document
learning expectations of particular courses - they figured if I passed the
college class then I understood the material.

A student teacher we had in my district last spring had to do fulfill a HUGE
portfolio requirement AND pay several hundred dollars to take a test before
she could get her teaching license.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids