RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: August 02, 2006

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 08:43:27 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 1:01 AM
To: teacherartexchange digest recipients
Subject: teacherartexchange digest: August 02, 2006

TEACHERARTEXCHANGE Digest for Wednesday, August 02, 2006.

Dear Marybeth,
        It sounds like you are being pro-active in the process. Here is my
advice. I recently earned my teaching certificate in secondary art education
and I am a working artist. I had two student teaching experiences that were
very different from each other. The first was extremely stressful and I feel
strongly that the teacher's only intent was to work against me. She had way
too many personal problems that interfered with her ability to mentor and to
teach students in my opinion. With only two weeks left of my semester, I
requested a new placement which put me back financially, we were not
supposed to work during our student teaching. There were a lot of issues
including the lack of representation and advocacy from the cohort. The
second placement was amazing. I am truly grateful. The teacher created an
environment that was supportive, compassionate and was based on mutual
respect. I was ready to give up on the whole thing but this teacher restored
my faith in the ideals of public education in general. I think that the
steps you would like to take are helpful. There are several ways you can
approach this. One, you could hand the student teacher an outline of
everything you want taught in the six weeks, you could completely let go and
allow the student teacher to learn experientially, that is, let her make
mistakes and then discuss how things went or you could stress out about how
she is ruining the class and ruining kids lives. The last one seems extreme
but I think that teachers sometimes have a difficult time letting go since
we work so autonomously. Most importantly, all you really can do is set
clear expectations right up front, make them flexible but not too flexible.
I learned a great deal from both of my experiences. You have a great deal of
influence in what kind of experience your student teacher will have,
remember it is only six weeks, everyone will survive especially if we
remember to smile and fight the urge to get stressed out. Maureen