Re: [teacherartexchange] Advice with Student Teacher

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 22:35:48 PDT

Hi Marybeth,

In answer to your questions about working with an art student teacher.

I have supervised student teachers on and off for many years in my role as a
university art teacher educator.

I would first get in touch with the university supervisor. There is usually a
very structured booklet to help cooperating teachers and student teachers.
Universities generally have some specific expectations for what student
teachers should do. Know those by heart and go over them with the student
teacher. Even though she may know what they are, you will know you have gone
over them and that she understands what she is expected to do.

I do not think it is a wise idea for you to let the student teacher start
teaching at the beginning. Most universities recommend a phase in program. A
good way to do that is for you to teach a lesson and then have the student
teacher teach the same lesson to another class of the same age group. I would
do this for at least a week. While she is doing this, I would recommend that
she start writing one or two lesson plans that fit into your curriculum. When
you approve them, she could teach one or two lessons and repeat them with
different classes of the same age. Depending upon how she does, I would
gradually let her have more and more responsibility. About the 3rd or 4th
week, she should be teaching 3/4 or all of the classes with your supervision.
It is always a good idea for you to continue teaching a lesson and have her
teach it like you just taught the lesson.

It will be a good experience for the student teacher to see how you organize the
classroom and establish discipline. Do not hand this over to her. You do it
and explain why you did what you did. Remember when the student teacher
leaves, you will get your classes back. You will want them to be well
disciplined.

I would set specific guidelines for the student teacher and document what she
does and does not do. Have once a week chats about what she is doing well and
what she needs to do to improve. I know it can be hard to be critical, but you
will do her a big favor in the long run if you give her good, constructive,
feedback. I recommend that you provide a written evaluation every week. Many
universities have forms that you can use for this process. You can use these
written weekly evaluations to complete any formal mid term or final evaluations
that are necessary for the university.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Diane

--