Re: [teacherartexchange] Advice with Student Teacher

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 19:01:14 PDT

I can see her managing a clay lesson, but paper mache? NO WAY! It is
challenging enough under the best of circumstances, but I don't think I'd
let a student teacher spend 6 weeks on a project that I would probably have
to finish, UNLESS she has laid out a WORKABLE plan on how long to work, how
to clean up, drying time, painting time, her motivation to keep the students
working within the time frame (cause we all know that what takes us an hour
may take them 2 weeks!) . Remember, this is your classroom, your students,
ultimately YOU are the one responsible for their education. She needs to fit
her lessons into your curriculum. Surely she isn't planning on teaching the
first day? I would have her observe at least one week, then take over one
class, proving her competency before allowing her to take on a second. If
you think she can handle it on day two, turn it over, but you are the one
with the experience and the student teacher needs to take advantage of your
knowledge. It is great that she is ambitious, but paper mache??? Does she
know your classroom set-up? Do you have sinks? I'm thinking she has
ambitions that may be beyond her abilities at this point, especially
considering you haven't even begun school yet, established routines &
disciple procedures - the whole scope & sequence. If I were you I would try
not to squelch that enthusiasm your student teacher is showing, but try to
pull her in to a project where she is sure to be more successful. If she
really wants messy projects how about having her paint with kindergarteners
the first day or two! *L*
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids