[teacherartexchange] Advice with Student Teacher

---------

From: Marybeth Bortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 10:42:12 PDT

Hi All,
This is my first time having a student teacher and I'm a little anxious
about the whole process. I have e-mailed twice trying to meet and discuss
what mediums and plans she has in mind, unfortunately, I have only heard
back once and she was in planning mode. My meeting with her supervisor is
not until early Sept. I have no guidelines or expectations from anyone!

Her time with me is brief, the first day of school to the middle of October
(she has to check her paperwork) and she wants to teach lessons in clay and
papier mache. (I teach K-5 and meet each class once a week for one hour,
except kinders who I have for 1/2 hour.) I suggested in an e-mail since her
time with me is so brief and she had mentioned two ambitious mediums I would
really like to know what she had in mind and what grade levels considering
my curriculum. In my e-mail I also suggested she come in while I set up my
classroom and maybe consider setting up a bulletin board. I realize she is
not obligated to but I wish someone had let me come in early so I could see
what it takes to set up an art room.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should outline the six weeks? The
first week is generally introductions, then the second week I thought I
would teach lessons and have "st" assist, then together we would plan
lessons together eventually easing into her taking over the last two weeks.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them! You
can write to me off-line if you want, I welcome all the help I can get!

Judy - the perspective website is so cool!

Thanks,
Marybeth