[teacherartexchange] Ceramic Lesson Plans - an idea

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 09:23:41 PDT

Greetings Stacie and All,

Amaco has some "new-to-me" lesson plans on their site using texture molds.
http://www.amaco.com/html/amaco_lessons.html

The molds are kind of expensive. It might be a good lesson for
students to make their own texture mold. Roll out a 12" square of clay
(about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick). Have students carve a repeated pattern
using wire loop tools. Dry these slabs very slowly to prevent warping
- you can dry between newspapers and drywall boards. Bisque fire. See
tips from Marvin Bartel for drying
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/dryingslabs.html

Students could then make the tea cups, draped slab plates, cylinders
and more using the texture slabs. The texture slabs could also be used
for the Chinese Ritual Vessels (a good art history lesson).

I had all sorts of stuff kids could use to texture clay.... laces,
burlap, potato sacks, all sorts of plastic stuff. I looked for
interesting texture stuff at the dollar stores.

Happy Planning.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/