Re: [teacherartexchange] New thread/Tech in Art

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 07:59:57 PDT

Excellent Idea for a new thread....

I just recently finished a two years online Masters in
Educational Technology program. Most of the software
and hardware experiences were not new but the
strategies and methods of teaching technology were.

Technology has and will open a world of Art to more
students then has ever been experienced. We must all
remember technology is a tool like a paintbrush, paper
or paint. We must teach students how to manipulate
this new tool other then just email or play games.
The ability to connect with other classrooms, artist,
art institutes the list goes on and bring these to
your students has an enrichment possibility that is
profound. Showing students how to use software to
enhance their creative ideas can and does hook the
student who was not interested in art before.

Technology brings about a new way of thinking and as
you said it is the world students of today will be
living in. They must learn how to use it, understand
it and integrate it into their everyday lives.

In one of my classes a noted technology expert said,
"We are the immigrants of technology and the students
of today are the natives." As immigrants we all need
to be on top of technology in order to converse and
communicate with the natives of technology.

Will teaching change yes! In or lifetime? It already
has. Our mission as Art Educators is how will we
invite this new tool into the classroom and introduce
it to our students. What will we do as Art Teachers to
understand and develop strategies to use it. Are we as
Educators up for the challenge.

Jeff