Re: [teacherartexchange] Peer teaching (was pre-assess.)

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 11:52:57 PDT

Patty thank you for the peek into your classroom and
what you do.

I would agree the collabration nature of an Art
Classroom can make the classroom work so much better.

In the Elementary Art Classroom students sit at table
with four to five students at each table. At the
beginning of the year I explain to my Elementary
students that each table works as a team. We talk
about how a team works best together, and rules of
respect. I explain that throughout the year we will
change team members in order to meet and get to know
different people. Each table member is responsible
for a variety of task, handing out folders, getting
supplies, clean up. They learn to depend on each
other for directions, advice on projects, assessing
each others work. The table is a team and the room
becomes a community.

In the High School Classroom students sit at tables
with four to five students at each table. Students
might be in an Art History, Studio, or Art Technology
class. Students are dependent on each other for
directions, assignments, advice on projects, assessing
each others work and peer teaching. I advise students
to seek out others in the class who might have found
an answer, solved how to use a program or figured out
a technique before coming to me. This has built a
much better classroom community. Because of this
cooperative/collabrative nature of the classroom
discipline issues at next to none.

Letting go of the "control teacher" and turning to the
"facilitator teacher" has made teaching more enjoyable
as it was in the beginning when I first started
teaching. Does this happen over night, no and it
takes time to nurture and create. It is well worth
the time and effort.

Jeff