[teacherartexchange] Peer teaching (was pre-assess.)

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 10:18:48 PDT

'Cause it's so darn hot, I can't see getting out from my air cooled
place. and I'm working on plans for the new year. I'm thinking
more about what Marvin said about peer-teaching:

>> CREATE A COLLABORATIVE STUDIO CULTURE
>> I find it useful to tutor the advanced students on how to tutor
>> the slower students when the needs arise? I like to challenge
>> every student to help with the teaching and learning. If peers
>> can learn to teach with questions and by helping to set up
>> experiments, (not doing things for them) all will benefit. Self-
>> instruction and peer-instruction are natural and often the most
>> effective ways to learn. The culture of an art classroom should
>> be a learning environment where citizenship means that we all
>> pitch in to leave no mind behind. I call it creating a
>> collaborative studio culture.

I haven't taught Photo 1 for a couple of years and decided I want to
approach it this year in all new ways. And mostly I'm considering
more ways for them to teach each other.
I think most of you in the secondary level know just how HARD it is
to get kids to sit and listen for even 5 minutes. All the lectures I
used to do I know need to be chucked.
My photo room has always been divided into half in the darkroom
half in the classroom getting instruction. I'm devising all kinds
of activity centers for the classroom time. i.e building Photo
history timelines, critique centers, Photographer of the week (read
and answer an exit question) reading and viewing centers...
and I'm trying to make some games about photo- can they learn the
camera parts and functions in a game?

I have in my digital class a computer SWAT team. These are the kids
that I know, know a hundred times more than I do. They volunteer to
solve problems for classmates. I need a photo SWAT team too.

Group work has become a standard in the "regular" classrooms. We
have to take advantage of that mind set. There are lots of things
in art where kids can give each other advantages without our
interference. For years I have started my new year department
meetings with "teacher, don't talk so much." What ways will
you use this year to have them talk and not you?

and BTW, I'm old enough to look at a kid with a question and say "I
don't know? how can YOU find the answer?"
It's not my job to give all the answers. It's my job to teach them
how to FIND the answers.
you know the old saying -- Give me a fish, I'll eat for a day,
Teach me how to fish, I'll eat for a lifetime.

I'm thinking about how to teach art for the lifetime reward.
Patty