[teacherartexchange] clay tiles for a mural

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 18:56:35 PDT

 I need a little advice from our clay experts or maybe those who have
tried this successfully. I know I have already read posts about this but
I got discouraged searching in the archives. (is there no way to search
the archives by topics without having to scroll through each month?)
Anyway, here is my plan. The special needs teacher -I can never remember
what initials we use now for that class- asked if I would help them do a
group project for our local fair. It is a small group of 8 half of which
are Downs' kids. I thought about doing clay tiles that they could draw
into and then glaze. We would fire them and then mount them on
board,grout it and frame it so that after the fair,it could be hung
outside of their classroom and be a touchable artwork. I remember reading
about pressing the tile between sheet rock. I mentioned that to another
teacher and she said she had tried that but the clay dried too quickly
and cracked before she fired it. Any suggestions or other ideas are
welcome!
   Also,our school is participating in the Pinwheels for Peace project and
we have decided to tie in a collection that week to be sent to disaster
relief in the Gulf region. We had originally planned to send the money
to a war torn country but now feel strongly that our land is need of
peace and healing. My heart is heavy for all who are suffering so
greatly tonight.
          thanks in advance for any words of advice on the clay tiles,
                 Jeryl in SC