Re: [teacherartexchange] Article in the newest ART EDUCATION magazine

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 15:41:58 PDT

Comments, of course:

> "...the teacher should never assign a topic."
By assigning topics we guide students. We should choose topics
that have an interest to them or that we make interesting by
how we present it. By having some control of topic and media
we are better able to provide guidance. Our students won't
learn much about taste and growth if we allow freedom to
paint Micky Mouse, Sponge Bob, Barbie, and Beer Cans, etc.
(I taught Middle School)
Any structure we provide must be open enough to allow for
experimentation and individual creativity. Teachers should
provide just enough framework to meet certain objectives.
But, we need to be careful not to use the students to
create the teachers art. They are our students not our
paint brushes.

> "Cizek, one of the most important educators to influence the Progressive
> Education Movement in the United States, considered his young students
> as artists. He was an "artist-teacher" and thought that to expose a
> child to adult art work could influence his or her creativity in a
> negative way. Cizek also allowed children to experiment with different
> media."

Creativity is important, but students must have as complete as possible
an exposure to the art of the past. I can't imagine an English teacher
teaching writing and not exposing students to good literature. What if
History teachers taught without exposing students to World War II ?

> "Shaw refers to the teacher as a guide who wins the child's confidence
> and learns from the child at the same time that the child is learning
> from the teacher."
I must admit that a major reason I taught was to learn from my students.
They kept me fresh and continually thinking. Was that being selfish ?
                                        Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
		mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net