Re: [teacherartexchange] Article in the newest ART EDUCATION magazine

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 14:05:39 PDT

Hi all,

I want to respond to the following quote from the article in Art Education,

"Cizek, one of the most important educators to influence the
Progressive Education Movement in the United States, considered his
young students as artists. He was an "artist-teacher" and thought that
to expose a child to adult art work could influence his or her
creativity in a negative way. Cizek also allowed children to
experiment with different media."

"Shaw refers to the teacher as a guide who wins the child's confidence
and learns from the child at the same time that the child is learning
from the teacher."

I do believe the teacher serves as a guide or as a facilitator. Yes I also
believe in building a relationship oriented learning community in which the
collective group is all learning together, including the teacher.

Nevertheless, I disagree that adult art work influences a child's creativity in
a negative way...I think children are way too resilient for that. When adult
work is used to provide ideas/examples/motivation it is a great resource. Even
van Gogh in his diaries to his brother Theo, proclaimed that the reproductions
he sent him of Millet's work, "invigorated" his pencil. However, I do believe
there needs to be a strong emphasis on individual personal self expression as
well as an emphasis on meaning, discovery and spirituality.

Cheers,

Diane

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory