Re: [teacherartexchange] degrees and salaries

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 15:30:33 PDT

Hi Sidnie,
    Yes, these degrees would seem the same, but as I pointed out in my
recognize nor give any extra salary for an MFA, but it did have increased
salary steps for 10,20,30 and 40 semester hours of graduate credit beyond
the MA.} At OSU, the MA in studio art could be earned with 60 quarter hours
and accomplished (if going full time) in a year. The MFA studio course was
90 quarter hours and required a two year committment full time. The MFA
also required two minors, one being in an area outside of art, like a
language for example. With an MA, I was able to get the masters degree a lot
sooner and receive the extra salary for each additional 10 semester hours
until 40. With an MA I still did a thesis, exhibit and oral exam to defend
the thesis.

                        Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                        Art teacher, K-5, retired