Re: [teacherartexchange] degrees and salaries

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 11:32:31 PDT

Generally speaking in Art the MFA is generally about 30 hours more than an
MA...a significant amount. Also, there are more arduous standards and
generally demanding exhibition/thesis requirements. I think in most cases the
MFA is regarded as the Ph.D. of studio art. It is quite common for
universities to offer the MA studio art and the MFA studio art, so if someone
is not accepted into the MFA or they choose not to go on, then they can
graduate with an MA. Nevertheless, the MFA, rather than the MA, is the
terminal degree in studio art. The terminal degree in art education is the
Ed.D. or Ph.D. Generally when someone is looking for a studio university
teaching position, they are more competitive if they have the MFA--the
exception might be Graphic Design where the portfolio and work experience can
count in place of advanced degrees.

Having said this, however, there are some MA degrees that can be quite demanding
as well. Some MAs can be 45 hours or in some cases 62 hours. It does depend
upon the discipline and the University. Salary schedules are generally not set
up to recognize the nuances between different degrees, so I think the smartest
thing to do is to reward teachers by the number of credit hours.

Nevertheless a fine teacher is priceless and would never be compensated
financially enough.

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate