Re: [teacherartexchange] Art Technologies

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 08:02:07 PDT

I use my digital camera in my elementary classroom alot, not only to take
pictures of their work, but to take pictures of the students themselves.
They then take these pictures and use them in their artworks. I have one
digital photo lesson for each grade level - some turn into painting projects
with themeselves within a famous reproduction, some pose and then become a
superhero, some are for basic grid drawings. Another fun use is to take the
students in the hallway and have them stand at different spots in the hall.
Take the picture and have them see for themselves how depth in a 2-D image
works. I'll be putting this last idea on my site once school really gets
started again. I would get you the exact URL's on my site, but it seems to
have exceeded it's limits again. Maybe someday I'll purchase my own
domain....... I did take my 6th grade students to the computer lab last
year to do a powerpoint over an artist, but it ended up being more about how
to work the computers rather than art.

As for classroom storage - I am in 2 different elementary schools. I didn't
have a room in either for several years, and eventually graduated into
classrooms. I found that for one school I kept the bare minimum of supplies.
Scissors, glue, paintbrushes, paint, and a small stash of paper (colored and
drawing). I found it easier to manage if I only had one box of yarn and only
used it in one building at a time - this helped with management as well as
storage. I had a simple metal cabinet in the other building - it sure helps
make you be neat! I kept my cart extremely well organized (pictures on my
site). I found I was limited to what I was given for space - one year I
shared storage space with the gym teacher. When I found I was climbing over
giant balls and through a myriad of jumpropes and other physical equipment I
quietly found alternative storage with the help of the staff.

~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids