Re: [teacherartexchange] degrees and salaries

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 04:11:01 PDT

Hi All,

At the university level even though it is understood that the MFA is the
terminal degree in studio art, the Ph.D./Ed.D. is regarded as the "real"
terminal degree. There is a general perception/misperception that the MFA is
still a masters degree. Academics can be such snobs.

Even within the Ph.Ds. A Ph.D. in Education is not nearly as highly regarded as
a Ph.D. in Science or Math, for example. And a Ph.D. from Harvard is more
highly regarded than a Ph.D. from the University of Missouri-Columbia, where I
went to school. And, tall, white good looking males make more money in this
society than anyone else. But if you are a Dallas Cowboy you can make an
outrageous salary...yes there are great inequities in life.

There is a general lack of understanding of studio/performance degrees in
general. The BFA is treated the same as the BS/BA, even though in studio art
this is considered the professional art degree. An MFA is treated or thought of
the same as the MA/M.Ed/MS.

I do like the approach of giving financial rewards for credit hours taken/with
or without a degree. This approach rewards lifelong learning.

The current pay structures at most schools do not provide many financial rewards
or incentives for continual learning. There is a ceiling usually in most salary
schedules and no matter how many degrees you get or hours you take for
self-improvement your salary stays the same except for cost of living raises or
when the legislature, like in Texas, decides to raise the salary schedule a mere
fraction.

It is hard to swallow when we see others with lesser credentials make more in
their salaries. Maybe along the way, I should have picked up a law degree to
make money and continued to teach because I love it. :-)

Cheers,

Diane

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory