Re: [teacherartexchange] degrees and salaries

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 22:22:07 PDT

Betty,

I would be surprised--and impressed!--if your district retroactively
paid someone for credit she'd earned before she was hired, unless that
was negotiated at the time of hire. I had an MA when I was first hired,
but also had a reading endorsement on my certificate; when I got more
savvy I tried to request a raise based on those extra hours, but it was
turned down. I know, it doesn't seem fair someone can get a master's
by attending a class one night a week for a year. There are so many
rather dubious colleges and universities out there that offer relatively
easy teaching certification programs, as well. It's a different world,
that's for sure. And yes, it does gall me that I have as many grad
credits as a law-school graduate, but made much less after 20 years than
a new lawyer made her first year.

Maggie