Re: [teacherartexchange] degrees and salaries

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 19:33:43 PDT

Hi Betty,
    My district (at the time of my employment) did not recognize nor give
any extra salary for an MFA, but it did have increased salary steps for
10,20,30 and 40 semester hours of graduate credit beyond the MA. This was
the route I took because I taught full time while I was in grad school. My
MA is in printmaking with a minor in art history, and it took me 3 years to
do it. After I got the MA, I continued to take courses and before I knew it,
I had the 40 semester hours. The next step would be the PhD, which didn't
interest me. If I thought about teaching at the college level, then an MFA
would be a must, especially for studio courses. But "down at the elementary"
it wasn't valued or respected.
    Now that I am 60 plus, I have enrolled in courses at OSU through Program
60--like auditing except there is no fee, credit or grade. This autumn I
have registered for Beginning Lithography! It should keep me out of trouble
for 10-11 weeks. I may have a degree in chemistry before I am done. :-)
I've checked out books on lithography and already it looks intense!

                                    Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                                    Art teacher, K-5, retired