[teacherartexchange] degrees and salaries

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 18:35:33 PDT

I wanted to check something with the list. My state
pays a little more for Master's and a little more for
a Doctorate. I have an MFA and get paid for a
Master's.

My graduate program was 2 years full time for an MA,
and an additional full year minimum (plus all the
usual hoops to jump through) for an MFA. The students
who were struggling "quit" at the MA, so it was
perceived as a way to "drop out" honorably. (Of couse
I realize now that was completely absurd) It was
considered a little odd and pointless to want both
pieces of paper, so I only know of one person who did,
the rest of us just went straight through for that
third year, the most challenging year of my life that
I wouldn't trade for anything.

Now my school is offering a program where teachers
can, for $4,000, watch a distance-learning TV thing
one night a week and get their masters in a year. This
is great for them, but I confess it has made me think
about asking for the doctorate pay. (As a teacher
pointed out, a former teacher who had graduated law
school got doctorate pay for the same amount of years
I'd put in)

Do youall with MFA's get Master's or doctorate pay?
The whole concept seems pretty outdated to me, since
there are so many levels of degrees in between, much
less those people who have taken hundreds of graduate
hours that don't add up to a particular degree and are
not compensated for that. I think it should be
Master's, Terminal, and x amount for additional
graduate hours over xxx.

A fellow teacher has suggested I start cutting out job
listings that say "PhD in Education of MFA preferred".

comments?