Re: [teacherartexchange] Second week...

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 19:02:34 PDT

MS behavior - it is a challenge all by itself! I give 10 points daily for
working (it's about 1 point every 10 min.). If a student does not earn at
least 75% of their daily points for the week they owe me a detention. Some
other tricks to try - if you have any athletes then talk to their coaches.
Often times if I tell a football player that I have discussed their behavior
in class with their coach and that if such and such continues then they will
be ineligible to play in the next game (works only if you have the coaches
support), that will often straighten out their behavior. Do NOT continue
working on their projects if they are acting inappropiately - don't talk
over them, wait until they are quiet. Last resort - send them to the office
and don't allow them back into your room until you have spoken with their
parents and a suitable solution is agreed upon.
A good structured lesson that I like to do with my middle school students to
start out my year is perspective. I give them step-by-step instructions in
which I draw and they follow along. I rotate lessons - we do names in
perspective, floating shapes connected by tubes, a city street and a
hallway. I vary these, depending upon students who are repeating the course.
Paint or color these with flourscents and display with black light - very
eye catching, and it grabs their attention.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids