Re:[teacherartexchange] Clay

---------

From: Aimee Sirna (asirna_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 07:45:43 PDT

I agree with the group that its important to plan for exposure to clay and
painting. The art room may be their only chance. On the other hand, I
don't recomend using clay during the first month of school. Your students
are eager to use clay, but some of them haven't gotten their behavior under
control. How about using a clay (or painting) project as incentive? If you
are going to use the NOISE method, for example, the class can only get down
to silent art once during a specified amount of time(say, 1 month- I'm not
sure what would be most appropriate), and if they get down to the I, they
have lost the chance to use clay and must start the system over? One thing
is for certain... for a new teacher, paint and clay with 30 kids can be
worrisome. On top of the activity in the classroom and checking for
understanding of techniques, you don't want to have to worry about behavior.
Regarding clay and kilns- If you don't have a kiln at your school, are there
any other art teachers in the district who can fire your stuff? My
co-worker Lisa has fired tons of stuff for me. This year I have a classroom
and a kiln and fully expect to be called on to fire things for my
colleagues.
Also for a clay project, when you have the time its sometimes good to
practice first with "play clay" before moving onto the real stuff. I
usually follow that procedure and find that the kids are more confident when
they get to their actual projects.
Aimee