[teacherartexchange] Murals

---------

From: SIZANA (atla_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 06:40:50 PDT

Hi All

I am faced with a real challenge that I would like to share with you.

The dominant tribe in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa is the
Xhosa people. As in most tribes in South Africa, mural art used to play
a very important role in decorating homesteads and community spaces.
Unfortunately, this has dies out completely and is not practiced anymore
as the artists who painted the murals did not get to pass their skills
on.

I have been approached by an organization working in community
development to facilitate with the training of a group of women in mural
painting, developing their painting skills as well as their designing
capabilities to re kindle this art form.

Any ideas on how I should go about this?

I have some ideas but I would like to check and see if anyone else has
something that is an improvement.

Thanks a lot

Tracey Collier
 In Durban, South Africa