Re:[teacherartexchange] Setting up my curriculum (just my opinion)

---------

From: Diane Davis (dianemdavis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 13:47:38 PDT

> If you had seven weeks (7 classes with grades 3-5/ 35 classes with
> grades
> 6-8), what would you make sure to teach?

This sounds like an interview question I once had. But back then, I
hadn't had much teaching experience and sort of went....ewh....ewh.....

If you have enough clay, I'd let the 3-5 grades do one class with clay
and one painting the clay projects. Where else are they going to get
it? Parents don't even allow playdough in a lot of homes. I'd also let
them paint at least one paper painting-big if possible. They don't get
much of a chance to do that other than in art class as well. Don't do
elements and principles as a separate lesson with the little ones. Talk
to them about it throughout your lessons.

With the older kids, I'd talk about elements and principles as a way to
talk about art, a universal language. Don't spend more than one class
on it, but talk about it in every lesson you do as a reinforcement of
those ideas.
If you have clay, I'd plan for one clay project, one solidly realistic
project and one wildly imaginative project. Talk about the proper use
of tools to get control over them, allowing the artist to make the kind
of marks he/she wants. Use art history as a way to say, here's how one
artist (or more) handled a similar idea without focusing a project
around a particular artist. Try to make these projects relevant to
themselves so they will want to make art on their own when they don't
have it in class. My daughter and her friends (male and female)
continue to have art days a couple times a year, where they all get
together and make art and socialize.