Re:[teacherartexchange] Art on a Cart/ Multiple Schools

---------

From: Aimee Sirna (asirna_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 08:13:10 PDT

Dear Carol,

My hat goes off to you and others who work at many schools. The most I have
worked at during a school year is 3. Like you, I've always been on a cart.
To do this well, its important to stay organized. Something that helped me
was to make lists of materials I needed to grab for other schools. I taught
six different grades per day, so I had 6 boxes on my cart- one per grade
level, where I would keep the materials associated with that particular
lesson. On the top shelf of the cart, keep items that the kids will need to
access- erasers, scissors, books they can flip through, etc.
I recommend collecting and keeping student work as opposed to leaving it in
the classroom. Some teachers are wonderful in being gracious about your
lack of storage, but other send work home too early or don't monitor the
storage area. When painting, I would leave the work in the hallway along
the wall- that way I'd see it and remember to collect it. If switching
schools in the middle of the day, ask a reliable student to collect the work
when it is dry and leave it in your mailbox.
Consider taping your schedule to the cart. Above all, when you feel that
you are lacking things that you need for your program, ask your principal.
It is not unreasonable for you to have a set of glue, scissors, rulers,
pencils, erasers, crayons, and paper at every school. If your cart is not
in good repair or does not accomodate many supplies, let your principal
know. Also make them aware of the fact that you need storage for your
projects. Even if they can't help you at this time, it is good for you to
respectfully voice your opinion. My supervisor always says "Ask- The worst
they can say is no."
Remember that anything can be done on a cart, even painting and clay. You
just have to find the strategy that works for you. You may not be ready to
try these things in the first few months of school, but you will develop
best practices that can be adapted to your needs. Good Luck!
Aimee