Re: [teacherartexchange] Art on A Cart / Multiple schools

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 20 2005 - 19:50:27 PDT

I taught on a cart in one of my buildings for about 8 years - I have alot of
tips on my website. Because of the way I did my watercups I would only plan
to paint with one class at a time - if your water situation is better than
mine was you could paint with more. Plan ahead on how you can carry your
supplies on your cart - I remember one year I was weaving with one class
(big box of yarn), doing cut paper with another (big box of colored paper
squares cut to size), and doing research projects with another class (stacks
of art books). I didn't even think about how I was going to transport all
those items on my cart. It is much better to do yarn projects with 2-3
classes at once, same with cut paper projects - anything that requires
additional supplies.

I still teach in 2 towns, 3 buildings, 4 classrooms daily. Do units in each
building that use the same visuals - don't try to transport stuff you need
THAT day. Immediately plan some back-up lessons so that when you walk into
that classroom and discover that your supplies are in a different building
then you can go on as if it were planned all along. Be flexible, and work on
not allowing small things to stress you. I have two large plastic boxes with
handles that I keep in my trunk. I use these to transport items. It helps to
have a specific system for transporting items so that you can keep track of
your stuff. If you have a limited amount of basic supplies (scissors, glue
bottles, paintbrushes, etc) then I would create a box just for these items,
knowing that this box will always be with you. Invest in a cart to put your
boxes on - one of those shopping cart type things - your back will
appreciate it later. Maintain a sense of humor above all else, cause it will
help when you run into all the challenges you will face. Once you get your
organization down it won't seem that big of a deal. I'm sure I'll think of
lots more to share as soon as I hit "Send". :-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids