Re:[teacherartexchange] rowdy classes

---------

From: christine (kotarsky_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 20 2005 - 13:24:37 PDT

Stacey,
My middle schools kids know exactally what I expect form them. I have a
syllabus and we go ove the expectations and consequesces the first day. The
need rewards and at this age talking to friends is a big one. So I tell them
if the can remain on task during class time, then the last five minutes of
class they can move to another table and talk to their friends. You can do
this everyday or make it a Friday thing. The of course have assigned seats
and I move them around if I need to. It's so funny when you give them new
seats because they become shy to sit by kids they never talk to and you can
hear a pin drop in the class. This is diffrent for each class.And call home.
I have a time out in the class and I call home, this makes a big difference.
Good luck , Christine