Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] aesthetics books for beginners

From: Pam (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 20 2005 - 10:09:28 PDT

The Davis series "Art Education in Practice" includes Marilyn Stewart's
user-friendly "Thinking through Aesthetics." My students like this book and
it seems to help them get a grasp on the topic.

An older book that stimulates aesthetic thinking is "Puzzles about Art: An
Aesthetics Casebook" by Batlin, Fisher, Moore, and Silvers (St. Martins
Press). This book has aesthetic scenarios to contemplate.

I have used other more advanced books for senior-level and graduate-level
aesthetic courses, but these two have worked the best for beginners.

I think what Diane is suggesting for a thread of discussion is the
aesthetics of visual culture which would likely be difficult for beginners
until the understand the basic concept of aesthetics in general.

Join us in June 2006 for Paris, Avignon, and the French Riviera
For details, visit:

Pamela G. Stephens, PhD
Northern Arizona University
Art Education
P.O. Box 6020
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6020
928.523.2432 (voice mail) 928.523.3333 (fax)

To unsubscribe go to