Re: [teacherartexchange] Resizing Pics on my Website

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 20:25:05 PDT

Woody,

If you have PhotoShop, you can save images for the web and use only a web
palette. Also if you turn off preview of images, you should be able to save
some file size their, as well. If you save your images at 92 dpi this should
get good quality when viewing on a monitor. However, when someone goes to
print out a 92 dpi image it will not be of very good quality. However, since
you put up your art work on this page, this is probably best anyway. No for
pictures of your kids, you may want to save them at a higher web resolution and
not save as web palette. This will allow friends and family to download and
print very good quality images of your "kids."

You may already know all of this, of course, but maybe it will be helpful to
others who do web page development.

Finally some web hosting companies also charge you based on "throughput." That
is they will charge you based upon the amount of clicks and the amount of disk
space that goes through their server. If you have large files and you start
getting lots of clicks on your site, then the throughput could bet very high
and result in an unexpected large bill. My web hosting company allows me to
set limits on how much throughput I can afford and when I exceed that
throughput, they contact me to let me know. It would be up to me at that point
to either redesign the site to make sure it takes up less memory so I can handle
the traffic or simply pay a higher price. When you move to higher click volumes
there is usually a better deal you can strike with the company to compensate for
this, as well. It really is important to keep file sizes to a minimum. If your
expenses at running your site get so large, you can investigate signing up for
some affiliates like Barnes and Noble.com. It can help you defray the cost of
paying for your site.

Hope all of this helps.

Cheers,

Diane