Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Research

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 18:01:53 PDT

>I think one of the approaches might be to say that the arts reinforce math
> skills, and show how math is used in the art studio.

You're correct - patterns, parallel, symmetry, asymmetry, horizontal,
vertical, oblique, flip, rotation, reflection, geometric, organic shapes are
all words that my 3rd graders know and understand. Some of these math
concepts don't enter the math curriculum until 5th grade (check your own
local curriculum). Using rulers to measure boarders reinforces measuring
skills. If you sit down and look at a typical art lesson I'm sure you can
find at least one math concept that could be included in your teaching
without changing the lesson.

If reading is a part of your school improvement plan then teaching students
how to read a painting teaches reading skills. You can include graphic
organizers to help reinforce your lessons, as well as help with reading
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher

To unsubscribe go to