[teacherartexchange] Data for art research

---------

From: Pam (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 14:40:30 PDT

Betty:

From personal experience I can tell you that being persistent pays off. The
first thing you must do is get administration on your side.

I say "from personal experience" because I taught elementary art for many
years. My principal was sick to death of testing and he was close to burn
out . As luck would have it, I happened to be at the right place at the
right time. I was one of the lucky ones who (as a graduate student)
participated in the first Getty Institutes.

The fall following our first training, those of us who had attended the
Institute were psyched to teach and this in turn got our principal psyched.
He soon saw the benefits of kids learning how to think deeply, to
contemplate ideas, and to put forth diverse ideas with supported reasoning.
Before too long, our principal was not only an advocate of teaching through
the arts, he became a national spokesman. He wrote articles and promoted the
concepts of comprehensive art teaching and interdisciplinary connections.

One of the first benefits that we saw from this training was that every
school in our district soon had full-time art and music teachers.

The follow-up program to the Institutes was Transforming Education through
the Arts Challenge (a national initiative funded by the Getty and the
Annenberg Foundation). Here is a link to the results of TETAC and there are
some tidbits that your administration might like to see.
http://www.utc.edu/Outreach/SCEA/Intro_TETAC_Report.pdf#search='transforming%20education%20through%20the%20arts%20challenge%20executive%20summary'

As you well know, what administrators are used to seeing is data and the
arts do not necessarily produced hard data.

Good luck!

From Sedona,
Pam

Join us in June 2006 for Paris, Avignon, and the French Riviera
For details, visit:
http://www.artresourcesforteachers.com/2006Travel.html
For art teaching resources, professional development, & travel, visit:
www.ArtResourcesforTeachers.com
Pamela G. Stephens, PhD
Northern Arizona University
Art Education
P.O. Box 6020
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6020
928.523.2432 (voice mail) 928.523.3333 (fax)
Pamela.Stephens@nau.edu
http://www.cal.nau.edu/art/fac_pages/faculty_s.htm